Anxiety is increasingly perceived as a normal reaction to many situations. Frequent worries can be a signal that something is wrong with your mental health. For example, if you see a bear in the forest, then it is completely normal to feel anxious feelings. In this type of situation, anxiety is more than necessary as it acts as a self-preservation instinct that leads to the fight or flight decision.
For some people, however, anxiety is a persistent condition that manifests itself in situations that are far from life-threatening. There are different types of anxiety disorders, such as panic anxiety, phobias, or obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you feel that the anxiety you experience is not affected by positive thoughts and therapies, then you must seek medical help, thanks to which you will have to establish the real causes of such conditions.
If you think you have a problem with your anxiety, try the following self-treatment techniques:
1. Practice relaxation techniques. Yoga, abdominal breathing exercises and guided visualization are suitable in this case. Regular application of such stress-reducing methods can successfully reduce, even eliminate, anxious feelings.
2. Exercise regularly. They reduce skeletal-muscular tension, which is also among the main culprits of physical and emotional stress. Thanks to exercise, adrenaline and thyroxine are processed faster, which in turn reduces the feeling of alertness and anxious agitation.
3. Avoid caffeine and nicotine in any form. Caffeine generally makes you more jittery and tense - conditions that further increase the obsessive feeling of anxiety. Nicotine has a similar effect. It is no less a powerful stimulant than caffeine. Nicotine causes vasoconstriction, a process that makes the heart work harder.
4. Take foods or supplements rich in calcium, vitamin B and vitamin C. Calcium has a calming effect on the nervous system. In stressful situations, your body first quickly uses up the reserves of vitamin B and C. That is why it is necessary to ensure a rich intake of these substances, since they increase energy levels and support the proper functioning of the nervous system.
5. If necessary, take medication according to a doctor's prescription. It can be a key element in overcoming feelings of anxiety. Keep in mind that medication alone cannot completely cure these conditions. They will only be valuable if you follow the above tips.